What is Integrative Medicine?
The term integrative health describes the blending of complementary (things like in depth nutrition, supplements, botanicals, probiotics, spirituality, aromatherapy, meditation and yoga) and conventional therapies (things like vaccines, inhalers, prescription medications and antibiotics) by the practitioner to include all appropriate therapies in a patient-centered and evidence-informed (meaning proven by research!) fashion. In an integrative approach, evidence-based complementary therapies may be used as primary treatments or used in combination with conventional therapies.
Integrative Medicine includes these components:
• Patient/family and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
• All factors that influence health, wellness, and disease are taken into consideration, including mind, spirit, and community, as well as the body.
• Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body's innate healing response.
• Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
• Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically.
• Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms.
• Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, Pediatric Integrative Medicine involves the integration of complementary and conventional therapies on the basis of the best available data, with the goal of maximizing therapeutic benefit to the patient.
Over the past 2 decades of my practice, I have seen an increased need and desire for complementary approaches to many of the issues we commonly see in pediatrics. There are many wonderful integrative approaches to chronic issues such as:
- -sleep difficulty
- -chronic abdominal pain
- -Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- -premenstrual syndrome
- -chronic headaches
- -food intolerances
- -chronic pain syndromes
There are many more acute issues that have effective integrative treatments. For example, using elderberry (in the right dosage and safe form!) for influenza. And of course, integrative approaches can be used to optimize general health and athletic performance.
So often, parents feel like the only treatments that are available are pharmaceuticals. But this just isn’t true!! Unfortunately, most doctors have not been trained in integrative approaches to pediatric healthcare needs. Because of this, I have completed a 2 year post doctoral fellowship training in Integrative Medicine through the University of Arizona. I am now board certified in Integrative Medicine and happy to answer any questions you have.
I already incorporate many integrative practices into my every day practice (like recommending elderberry for the flu).. I am also offering full integrative consults. These consults will involve a pre-visit questionnaire, a lengthy in person visit (minimum 60 minutes) and a follow up written plan (sent to you within 2 weeks) specific to your child’s needs, including both conventional and integrative approaches for your child’s needs.
These consults will only be done on a cash pay basis. Prices are as follows:
- • -initial consult, televisit or in person, typically 60-90 minutes $500
• -follow up, televisit or in person, 30-60 minutes $250
• -auricular (ear) acupuncture $150 per session
***these prices are subject to change
I look forward to working with you on optimizing your child’s health in every way possible!
From a parent whose son I treated with an integrative plan: “This time last year, we had a frustrated little boy who came home with folder signed for talking, sloppy, incomplete classwork, and had difficulty completing simple instructions, like “get dressed and put on your shoes.” Now, with his dietary changes, and improvement in his labs, he is flourishing…. His work is complete, accurate, legible, and he has not yet had a folder signed for talking. He is taking pride in his school work and can’t wait to show us. It’s like all his wheels are now turning in the same direction, and his potential is finally being used. Your guidance has been the answer to our prayers. Thank you, thank you!”
Supplements can be bought through:
www.julietomberlin.metagenics.com/ using practitioner code JulieTomberlin