While all of our providers know quite a bit about breastfeeding, we have a true expert on staff. Katie Nagel RN is internationally board certified as a lactation consultant. She is available for questions via phone and consultations.
One of her most valuable services is an in-office lactation consult. During the visit, she will address any and all concerns including: painful latch, knowing if your baby is getting enough milk during nursing, and discussions on pumping, milk storage, supplementation, and preparing to return to work. Katie will weigh your baby before and after eating so you can see how much breastmilk your baby took in during the feed. She will offer suggestions and answer any questions that you have.
The following is a list of commonly addressed concerns:
- Ways to achieve a proper latch
- Positions to use while breastfeeding
- How to tell if baby is getting enough milk
- Sore nipples
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Keeping baby awake to nurse
- Low or over abundant milk supply
- Preparing to return to work
- Breastfeeding makes a definite difference in the health of mother and baby in many important ways:
- Breastfeeding helps protect the baby against common illnesses such as diarrhea, ear infections, and pneumonia, as well as against sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), juvenile diabetes, and some childhood cancers.
- Employees who breastfeed take fewer sick days due to their own or their children’s illnesses, and are often more productive on the job.
- Breastfeeding helps to protect women against breast and ovarian cancers, anemia and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding reduces health care costs, since breast-fed babies make fewer sick visits to the doctor or emergency room.
- Bottle-fed babies are 10 times more likely to be hospitalized for an infection than breast-fed babies.
- Mothers experience faster return to pre-baby weight due to the number of calories used to produce milk and feed your baby.
She recommends the following websites as great resources for breastfeeding moms:
-La Leche League international: https://www.llli.org/
-American Academy of Pediatrics:
-Breastfeeding Online: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml#sthash.SOlJJk4m.1Hso8iOM.dpbs
Call our Mansfield, TX office today at (682) 518-8111 if you have any concerns about lactation services.